SERVANT LEADERSHIP is probably a foreign expression to most of you but it is a relatively new form of leadership where the boss tries to nurture or care for his employees so that they can optimally learn and perform in their jobs.
Servant leadership implies that the company is not a rat race where you have to claw your way to get to the top and use deceptive tricks to get there.
Servant leadership is a significant departure from authoritarian top down management control and optimizes the concept of teamwork leadership. Leaders don’t have to fear the personal whims of an authoritarian boss who is primarily interested in keeping his job at the top and does not want others to aspire to it.
In a growing expanding company servant leadership provides more of an opportunity for promotion and advancement within the company and encourages company loyalty.
1. In servant leadership the boss shares his leadership with his staff and considers their needs first. It also means that the staff is also taught to be servant leaders so that the needs of those working under them are considered first and so on down the line of management responsibility.
2. Formal feedback mechanisms are set up at work and informal ones about four times a year in personal homes or restaurants where feedback is also encouraged. Feedback means that opinions are sought about how to better run the organization or company and it is a time when new or better ideas are solicited and encouraged.
3. All leaders are anonymously evaluated once a year on a scale of one to ten and if they score lower than an 8 they are reevaluated six months later and held accountable for their performance. Everyone is held accountable.
4. Those employees which don’t work according to the core values of the company are eventually let go or fired.
5. All employees have access to the same information at the same time and if this is not possible with emails then a smartphone app keeps everyone informed on a timely basis so that everyone remains connected.
CONCLUSION: Servant leadership is most effective when the leaders have stock in the company and feel that they have a personal stake in the success of the company. This way the leaders are also rewarded monetarily for the success of the growing company.
If you liked this evergreen blog then read more of them.